Scattered showers and storms will be possible today for Central and Eastern parts of New Mexico. Some locations, mainly NE and E, will have the chance for strong to severe storms today. This means storms have the potential for large hail and damaging winds. Most of Northern NM will have highs today in the 60s and 70s, this includes ABQ. Areas to the south will see highs in the low to mid 80s. The next few days will be beautiful and mild. We’ll have cooler mornings followed by sunny and warm afternoons. Highs expected to stay in the mid to upper 70s over the next few days
5. President Barack Obama now admits the U.S. underestimated ISIS. He talked about that and more on “60 Minutes” on Sunday night. The president said he hoped Iraq’s army could defeat the terrorist group, but that didn’t happen. House Speaker John Boehner says if the airstrikes aren’t enough, the U.S. might have “no choice” but to send ground troops after ISIS.
4. If recreational pot was legal, how much money could it make and draw in for taxes? A new study says $135 million of pot would sell here every year if it were legal, and that would mean an extra $28 million in taxes. Opponents still say that would be a bad decision.
3. The respiratory virus called enterovirus D68 is now in New Mexico. It’s like a cold, but can make it difficult to breath. It’s especially bad for kids with asthma.
2. Closing arguments will start in just a few hours for former APD Sgt. Adam Casaus. He’s accused of running a red slight and crashing into an SUV, killing one young woman and badly hurting her sister.
1. Grab your umbrella on the way out the door because rain is on the way.
The slow moving storm system that we have been talking about for the past several days is finally going to pass through the region on Monday. This will give central and eastern New Mexico a good shot for scattered storms for Monday afternoon. Some of the storms could become severe especially in the Northeast. That is where we could have storms producing large hail and strong, gusty winds between lunch time and dinner time. The system will move out tomorrow night and we will cool things down some for Tuesday and Wednesday.
Warner Brothers is looking to hire extras for a movie that will be filmed near Deming in mid-November.
Actors 8 and older are needed to recreate an African village scene. Entire families are welcome to apply.
Extras will make $100 per day for up to eight hours and will be paid overtime after eight hours. Hotels and meals will also be provided.
Those interested should submit the following information by email:
Families: A current photo with everyone’s names, dates of birth, a contact number and email address. Family submissions should be sent in one email, not separately.
Individuals: A current photo, date of birth, height, clothing size, contact number and email address.
A strong storm system continues to slowly push to the east, northeast. This area of low pressure picked up the winds on your Saturday and it’ll will keep the winds going for Sunday along with better rain chances. Western New Mexico will have the best shot for storms on Sunday and there could be a few strong to severe storms around the Four Corners by tomorrow afternoon. If the storms do become severe the main threats will be large hail and strong, damaging winds. The rain chances for central New Mexico will go up on Monday as the storm system begins to move out. Behind it, temperatures will be cooler making it feel more like fall.