University of New Mexico senior guard Hugh Greenwood got to see the ugly side of social media before he and his Lobo teammates took the court against UNLV Wednesday night. In an attempt to perhaps rattle Greenwood a twitter troll tweeted an ugly comment about Greenwood’s mother who is battling cancer . The tweet only fueled Greenwood’s basketball fire as he knocked down six three point shots and scored 22 points in a 71 to 69 Lobos victory. It is truly sad that someone would make fun of a person battling cancer. Who would do such a thing? Who is starving for attention no matter what kind or at what cost. The culprit is not a person who needs our insults but, our help. On the twitter page of this person was tweet after tweet of poisonous language. To operate in such a manner must be deep misery. This is a person who needs to have his life wounds loved away. Whoever that person is, who was so starved for attention that they resorted to making fun of cancer, we have all heard you. While we are disgusted, we also feel bad for you.
University of New Mexico starting point guard Cullen Neal will miss 3 to 5 weeks with a severe ankle sprain. The good news for Neal is that the injury will not require surgery. Neal sprained his ankle while landing on a players foot in a loss to Boston College at the Puerto Rico Tip Off Tournament last week.
Craig Neal’s Lobos started their season with a 79 to 55 victory over Idaho State Friday night. The Lobos started fast and never looked back. Sophomore guard Cullen Neal led the Lobos in scoring with 26 points. Senior guard Deshawn Delaney chipped in 12 points while sophomore center Obij Aget had a double double of 10 points and 12 rebounds. Senior guard Hugh Greenwood had 8 points, 11 rebounds and 7 assists. Eleven Lobos scored in the game, including juco transfer Jordan Goodman who picked his first minutes as a Lobo, The Lobos held the Bengals to 33.9 percent shooting. The lobos host Cal State Fullerton Sunday.
On a regional level it makes a lot of sense. The Albuquerque Isotopes are expected to announce Wednesday that they are the new Triple A affiliate for the Colorado Rockies. That is according to a baseball source in Colorado Springs. The Isotopes run with the Los Angeles Dodgers ended Tuesday after a six year run. Prior to that the Isotopes served as the Triple A affiliate of the Florida Marlins. The Isotopes have called a press conference for 2:30 Wednesday.
- Not over it yet… #lobos #MarchMadness
- Stanford defeats 17th ranked New Mexico 58 to 53.
- Lobos down 54 to 52 with 30.8 left.
- Hugh Greenwood 3. Lobos down 54 to 50 with a little over minute to go.
- Time is running out for the Lobos. They trail Stanford 52 to 45 in the second half.
- Stanford leads 17th ranked New Mexico 48 to 45 with 8:29 left in the game.
- Neal 2 and he is fouled. Game tied at 45.
- Lobos trail Stanford 43 to 40 with 11:29 left in the game.
- Delaney 3. Lobos down one.
- Lobos trail Stanford 39 to 35 with 15:57 left in the game.
- Lobos trail Stanford 32 to 27 at the half.
- Well alright… @cbairstow41 with 12 points closing on 13-4 run and trail by 5 at the half. 32-27 #stanford
- So far 2/3 of the #lobos big 3 have 0 points with 3:35 to go in first half.
- #lobos need to cut their deficit down to single digits before the break. #stanford leads 32-19
- Lobos trail Stanford 30 to 19.
- Lobos trail Stanford 25 to 14 with 7:58 left in the first half.
- Lobos trail Stanford 23 to 14 with 9 minutes left in the first half.
- #lobos open up a 8-0 run to cut the cardinal lead to 8 points. It’s 20-12 #stanford. D.D & greenwood score all 8.
- Lobos go 4 guards and a forward to make a run and now trail 20 to 12 in the first half.
- Fans are on their feet!! Loud cheers. Stanford 20, Lobos 12
- The Lobo band. pic.twitter.com/77L6cwRmwP
- Lobos trail Stanford 20 to 5 with 12:59 left in the first half.
- Battle between Stanford fans chanting and the UNM marching band playing. I think the Lobos won. pic.twitter.com/c1fQnvfFiH
- The game is turning into whistlestock for the Lobos. They are called for a foul every other trip down the court.
- Lobo fans before the game. pic.twitter.com/qjJD0CuJ8S
- #lobos need to be careful for not letting this one get away early. #stanford leads 20-5. 17-1 run by the cardinal
- Lobo fans before the game.
- Lobos are playing really tight and trail 20 to 4.
- New Blog Post NCAA Tournament: Lobo Game Day bit.ly/1dxCKOt
- Lobos center Alex Kirk already has two fouls.
- Lobo cheerleaders before the game. pic.twitter.com/3AqqL0D4oY
- The Lobos continue to miss shots. Stanford hits another 3 and leads 16 to 4. The Lobos look out of synch.
- Stanford leads 17th ranked New Mexico 13 to 4 with 16:23 left in the first half. pic.twitter.com/WtfOCL3R6r
- #lobos off to a slow start meanwhile #stanford has scored 10 unanswered points & lead 13-4. Kirk has 2 fouls already. #NCAATournament
- Stanford leads the Lobos 10 to 4 with 16:33 left in the first half.
- Bird’s eye view. Let the games begin! #GoLobos pic.twitter.com/H2k0or65lM
- Getting excited! Finally starting to see more Lobo Fans. Looks like a lot of people got in to St. Louis last night. Just in time!
- RT @lmitri_krqe: It’s game day!! Are you ready for this Lobos!