5. There are lots of fun events taking place in New Mexico this Labor Day weekend. They includes the New Mexico Wine Festival in Bernalillo, the Hatch Chile Festival, and the Lobo Football home opener tomorrow. There will also be DWI checkpoints. From all of us here at KRQE News 13, have a happy and safe Labor Day weekend, and please, don’t drink and drive.
4. The countdown is underway to tonight’s burning of Old Man Gloom. Zozobra will be torched this evening at Santa Fe’s Fort Marcy Park. Old Man Gloom is turning 90 this year, and he’ll be bigger than ever in stature. This year there’s a 1920′s theme. If you drink, Santa Fe County is sponsoring a one dollar taxi ride home. Call 438-0000 to get a taxi.
3. In just a few hours we could know if a judge will approve Former Albuquerque Public School Superintendent Winston Brooke’s buyout. He resigned two weeks ago and the District agreed to pay him $350,000 because he still had two years left on his contract. We’ll let you know what the judge decides.
2. Today we should know if voters in Albuquerque will get to decide if they want to reduce pot penalties in the Duke City. Mayor R.J. Berry has until today to approve or veto whether the reduced pot penalty measure gets on the ballot. It would reduce the penalty for possessing an ounce of marijuana or less, a $25 fine and no jail time. In the past, Mayor Berry said he does not support the plan.
1. Expect a warm and sunny Friday, with a high near 90, and a north wind around 5 mph becoming calm. Tonight, it’ll be mostly clear with a low around 59 and a west wind around 5pm. This weekend, it’ll be mostly sunny with temperatures in the mid-90′s.