Here are the five things you need to know before you go on this Monday morning!
5) As soon as today we could find out who’s the lucky dog who won the record powerball jackpot this weekend. One ticket got all the numbers right…for the $590.5 million dollar prize. The ticket’s from Zepherhills, Florida…a small town outside of Tampa.
4) Steve Alford’s getting ready to cut UNM a big check…for $300-thousand dollars. He and the University finally agreed on his buyout for jumping ship to UCLA. UNM says this deal will net it $625-thousand dollars.
3) Dozens of jobs with the City of Albuquerque should officially become available today. The City Council’s supposed to vote on the new budget tonight which includes money to fill spots that have been empty for years…including everything from zookeepers to administrators.
2) In just an hour or so…protestors are supposed to pack St. Pius X High School in Albuquerque…supporting a senior who was born a girl…but wants to dress like boys at graduation. Plus…Damian Garcia’s family is meeting with the school’s administration today…and now has more than 22-thousand signatures on a petition. St. Pius says because Damian’s birth certificate says female…Damian has to wear a white gown…as girls do.
1) There’s a high fire danger out today. It’ll be mostly sunny, with a high near 75 and a West wind 10 to 15 mph increasing to 15 to 20 mph in the afternoon. Then tonight will be mostly clear, with a low around 47 and a Northwest wind 15 to 20 mph decreasing to 10 to 15 mph after midnight.
5. Later this morning you see the parents of a little girl killed in the Sandy Hook Shooting talk about school safety on our sister station 2 KASA Fox. Emilie Parker’s parents will be on New Mexico Style at 8. They’re in town because the school where their daughter went for a few months in Rio Rancho dedicated a garden to her.
4. We could be looking at the biggest Powerball jackpot ever this weekend. Right now it’s at $550 million with a one-time payout of $350.1 million. The biggest Powerball pot ever was last year and that was $587.5 million.
3. Today you can sign up to get your kids free swimming lessons for the summer through the YMCA of Central New Mexico. The “Y” got a grant for $11-thousand to give the lessons to underprivileged kids. Go to KRQE Links for more information.
2. Today will be sunny, with a high near 89. Tonight will be partly cloudy, with a low around 55 with southwest wind 10 to 15 mph decreasing to 5 to 10 mph after midnight.
1. The guy accused of kidnapping a little girl in Albuquerque this week is set to be in court later today. Police say David Hernandez turned himself in yesterday and is now in jail without bond. Investigators say he kidnapped a girl Wednesday and let her go when her mom started chasing him.
5. Get your Powerball tickets now. Nobody won the prize last night and because of that, Saturday’s jackpot is going to be at least $475 million. That’s $302 million with the cash payout.
4. You better double check your emissions and registration notices if you live in Bernalillo County. One tester says he’s seen hundreds of people with notices saying they need emissions test when they really don’t. The state still says it was an isolated mistake.
3. The graduation dilemma at Saint Pius Catholic high school. Damian Garcia was born a girl, but identifies as a boy and wants to wear the black gowns with other boys wear on graduation day. However, Saint Pius says no, it goes by what’s on birth certificates so Damian will wear white with the girls if he walks.
2. Today will me mostly sunny with highs in the mid 80s to lower 90s. Tonight will be clear with lows in the 40s to upper 50s.
1. The hunt is now on to find the guy police say kidnapped a little girl in Albuquerque yesterday and possibly abducted and molested another girl last week. Police say the man took the girl from some apartments on 12th and Indian School. She got away down the road after her mom got into a car chase with him for 7 miles and slammed into his car. The guy took off running and police have not caught him. They say he’s Native American or Hispanic in his 20′s or early 30′s wearing jeans and a black t-shirt.
Time now for the five things you need to know before you go this morning!
5) Go buy your Powerballl ticket! the jackpot is up to $360-million-bucks! it comes out to just over $2-hundred-and-20-million after taxes.
4) The Albuquerque Journal is reporting the defense department plans to furlough nearly $700,000 of its civilian employees. Including almost $7,000 here in New Mexico. The article says notices will begin to go out May 28th and workers will have several days to respond or appeal. The unpaid days off could start July 8th.
3) The National Transportation Safety Board is recommending state’s lower the legal drinking limit…from .08 to .05. they say that’s because drivers start to lose control of their cognitive abilities at point .05. If the Federal Department of Transportation backs the idea, states could lose money for highways if they don’t fall in line.
2) Right now MDC is about 350 inmates over capacity. So, Bernalillo County Commissioners passed a temporary fix to that. They approved part of a proposal that sets aside $613,700 dollars for the next month and a half…to ship inmates to other jails in New Mexico and Texas.
1) Get ready for another hot day but with some isolated showers and thunderstorms after noon. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds. Other than that, mostly sunny, with a high near 85 and a breeze, with a Northwest wind 5 to 15 mph increasing to 15 to 25 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 10%.
Then tonight the isolated showers and thunderstorms will come again before midnight. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds. It’ll be partly cloudy, with a low around 55 and a breezy, with a Northwest wind 15 to 25 mph decreasing to 5 to 15 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 35 mph. Chance of precipitation is 10%.
Here are the five things you need to know before you go today.
5) You’re going to start to see a big new anti-texting and driving campaign. It’s from the four major cell phone companies and it’s targeting teens.
4) If you’re looking for a job…here you go. The “Gobs of Jobs” Career Fair is back at the Marriott Pyramid from 11am to 3pm today. More than two dozen companies will be there…including ABQ Health Partners, MVD Express, and HR Block.
3) Tonight…Bernalillo County Commissioners could finally solve the MDC’s overcrowding problem. They’re set to vote on a plan to spend more than $7-million dollars to send inmates to other jails. The County deadlocked on this last month…but Commissioner Lonnie Talbert wasn’t at the meeting…however he will be there tonight.
2) More fire restrictions could go into effect today. This time for the unincorporated parts of Bernalillo County. Commissioners are set to vote on that tonight.
1) Here comes the heat! Today will be a warmer day but with isolated showers and thunderstorms after 1pm. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds. The high will be near 83 with a light and variable wind becoming West 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. The chance of precipitation is 10%. Then tonight will have isolated showers and thunderstorms before 1am. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds with partly cloudy skies and a low around 59. There will be a West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light Northwest. Chance of precipitation is 10%.