Here are the five things you need to know before you go…
5) If you or someone you know has survived breast cancer…here’s a great event. The national non-profit group…”Casting for Recovery”..is now taking applications for its fly-fishing retreat in Cimarron this summer. They’re also looking for volunteers. Go to KRQE Links to learn more.
4) You’re now not allowed to shoot off most fireworks in unincorporated Bernalillo County. Commissioners made the new rules last light…going along with what Albuquerque did earlier this month.
3) Today all eyes will be on the “Silver” fire out in the Gila. It’s less than a mile from Kingston…where everyone’s been evacuated. The fires ripped through 8,400 acres and none of it is contained.
2) A little more than 500 people in Albuquerque are waking up without power…for the second morning in a row. They’re all near Tramway and Comanche…where a PNM crew is still trying to fix one last downed power transmission and distribution line.
1) It’s going to be another scorcher with a high near 97 and a North wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon. Then tonight there’s a 10% chance of showers and thunderstorms. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds. Partly cloudy, with a low around 69. West wind 5 to 10 mph.
5. Later today we could find out if America’s favorite football player has finally landed with a new team. Rumors are flying that Tim Tebow’s about to become a New England Patriot.
4. Today you can start voting for next year’s theme for Balloon Fiesta. The choices: “Pushing the Envelope”, “Where Dreams Take Flight”, “The Sky’s the Limit”, “Spirit of the Winds” and “Love at First Flight”. Go to KRQE links to vote and you could win a cool prize pack including a hot air balloon ride.
3. The “Silver Fire” keeps growing in the Gila. It’s burned more than 22-hundred acres and none of it is contained. Firefighters say it’s probably going to keep growing. The “Jaroso Fire” in the Pecos has burned about 13-hundred acres in a remote area of the Santa Fe National Forest.
2. In just a couple hours PNM says all of Albuquerque should have the power back on. Thousands of people lost it last night when wind knocked over or damaged 11 high voltage poles on Tramway between Montgomery & Comanche. Most of the outages are up in the heights.
1. Fire danger’s up again and it’s going to be another hot day. Today will be mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 99. Light south wind becoming southwest 10 to 15 mph in the morning. Tonight will be mostly clear, with a low around 61. Southwest wind 10 to 15 mph becoming light and variable.
5. Levi Chavez’s first-degree murder trial is set to start in just a few hours. Opening statements are set to start this morning. Chavez is the the former Albuquerque Police Officer accused of killing his wife back in 2007. Chavez says she committed suicide.
4. Highway 4 in the Northern Mountains is still closed this morning because of the Thompson Ridge Fire. That means it’ll take folks there a lot longer to get to Los Alamos. That fire is still growing it is now 20,000 acres and 40% contained. So is the Silver Fire in the Gila. It’s burned a thousand acres and none of it is contained. Fire crews have started mopping up the Tres Lagunas Fire burning near Pecos. That fire is now 60% contained and has burned about 10,000 acres.
3. Starting at 8am you’ll have to stay on the developed trails in the Bosque in Albuquerque and Bernalillo county. The partial closing of the bosque is because of the dry conditions there. If you get caught being off them you could face a $500 fine.
2. Stay out of the Sandias because they’re closing starting at 8am. This is the Sandia and Mountainair Ranger Districts of the Cibola National Forest. So no hiking, biking or driving to the crest.
1. Today will be the first day of a really hot week. Today is will be sunny, with a high near 96 and a Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph increasing to 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. Then tonight will have Isolated showers and thunderstorms before midnight. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds. Partly cloudy, with a low around 66. Southwest wind 5 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 10%.
5. We’ll probably find out more today about the US Intelligence Service reportedly getting internet and Verizon’s phone records from millions of Americans. The head of the Intelligence Agency says that is reprehensible.
4. The latest on the wildfires here in New Mexico. The “Thompson Ridge” fire has burned 13,000 acres and is 10% percent contained. The “Tres Lagunas” fire has ripped through 9,500 acres and is 34% contained. The “Sawmill Canyon” fire has burned 42 acres and is just a half mile from homes.
3. Get ready to see more wild animals on the run. We caught this bear running around the heights for 3 hours yesterday morning. Fish and Game say we’ll see more of this as animals come down from the mountains looking for food and water.
2. This is your last weekend to use the Sandias before they basically get shut down in the Cibola National Forest all to prevent a major fire. Plus Albuquerque and Bernalillo county’s leaders are set announce more fire restrictions in the city and county.
1. Today will be partly cloudy with isolated showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Some thunderstorms may produce damaging winds and large hail in the afternoon. Highs will be in the mid 80s to lower 90s. Tonight will be partly cloudy with isolated showers and thunderstorms in the evening with lows in the mid 50s to lower 60s.
5. Today the US Senate’s supposed to start talking about keeping federal student loan rates from doubling. Sound familiar? Congress had this same battle last year. Both parties have plans to keep the rates from doubling but they’re far apart.
4. More problems for the company in Roswell that wants to start slaughtering horses. Valley Meat says President Obama’s administration is playing politics by now denying the company an environmental permit. Valley Meat wants to slaughter the horses in an old cattle plant then send the meat overseas.
3. More people in New Mexico are coming down with Hepatitis A and it is probably from frozen fruit from Costco. Two men from Bernalillo County, a man from Sandoval County and a person in Sante Fe all got sick. Investigators think it’s from “Townsend Farm’s Frozen Organic Antioxidant.” If you have it throw it out.
2. The latest on the wildfires burning in the state. The “Thompson Ridge” fire is now 5% contained and has burned more than 10,000 acres. The “Tres Lagunas” fire has charred almost 9,000 acres and is 24% contained.
1. Some showers could be on the way. Today will be mostly sunny with a high near 89 and isolated showers and thunderstorms could hit in the afternoon. Tonight will be mostly cloudy, with a low around 57 with isolated showers and thunderstorms.