August 31st, 2012 at 6:35 am by matthewantonitis under 5 Things, Morning Show
5. Mitt Romney is officially the republican nominee for president. He had a big speech at the convention last night in Tampa, FL. He talked about his life and criticized President Obama. Romney will be back on the campaign trail in Florida, Ohio, and Virginia today. President Obama will be near us in El Paso, TX.
4. The manhunt for a man accused of molesting a 14 year old girl is over. Sources tell us investigators caught up with Dante Fossett last night after he cut off his ankle monitor on Wednesday. Fossett was on probation for forcing a teen to take nude pictures.
3. Vicente Griego, the little boy Albuquerque Police say was hit by a drunk driver last weekend is now brain dead, according to the boy’s father. He says doctors are waiting to donate his organs to nine other children who need them. The man police say hit little Vicente, Mariano Salaz, is out of jail on bond.
2. Today: Mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 80s to mid 90s.
Tonight: Mostly clear. Lows in the upper 50s to mid 60s.
Saturday: Mostly sunny in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 80s to mid 90s. South winds 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon.
1.Get ready for a busy weekend here in NM and all across the west. AAA says 2.4 million people in our area will be traveling for the Labor Day weekend. Most will be driving, which is up from last year.
July 23rd, 2012 at 4:38 am by matthewantonitis under 5 Things, Morning Show, News
5. More than a hundred homes are under an evacuation notice near Durango because of a wildfire. The “Airpark Fire” is burning about 4 miles south of Durango. It sparked yesterday afternoon by lightening. It was last listed at 500 acres.
4. Investigators are working to figure out what caused a massive fire that badly damaged the Rancho de Corrales event center. The fire broke out early yesterday morning. Firefighters believe the flames started near the kitchen but that is all they know right now.
3. Today: Partly cloudy. Isolated showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 80s to mid 90s.
Tonight: Partly cloudy. Scattered showers and thunderstorms in the evening…then isolated showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Lows in the 60s.
2. Communities all over N.M. will be seeing a lot of extra police activity. Police, along with the military, will be taking part in “Operation Aztec” today through Wednesday. The goal is to properly respond in case of a threat in the state. The operation is taking place in Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Roswell, Deming, Estancia, and Las Cruces.
1. The man accused of shooting dozens of people in Aurora, Colorado is expected to be in court today. 24-year-old James Holmes will be arraigned on charges of murdering 12 people and wounding dozens more during a killing spree at the opening of the new Batman movie.
June 26th, 2012 at 4:49 am by matthewantonitis under 5 Things, Morning Show, News
5. People are still talking about the U.S. Supreme Court striking down a lot of Arizona’s immigration law. The part that says police must make sure everyone they stop is here legally, is constitutional. That is not the law in New Mexico and the state leaders say it won’t be anytime soon.
4. Try to do everything you can to conserve water because the drought situation in Bernalillo County is now severe. The NWS upgraded it because we’ve had just 2.3 inches of rain this year.
3. It will be easier for firefighters in NM to put out fires in the northern part of the state soon. That’s because this morning a number of groups are breaking ground on a new fire center at LANL. This comes exactly one year after the Las Conchas Fire started there.
2. Today…Mostly sunny. Highs in the mid to upper 90s. South winds 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. Tonight…Mostly clear. Lows in the 60s. South winds 10 to 15 mph in the evening.
1. We could find out today if the Bosque will be closed from Bernalillo to Socorro. Leaders from four counties are set to meet to talk about that. There have already been a number of fires in the Bosque recently.
June 25th, 2012 at 5:10 am by matthewantonitis under 5 Things, Morning Show, News
5. Is the president’s healthcare law unconstitutional? And does Arizona’s immigration law, where police can stop people if they’re illegal immigrants, go to far? The U.S. Supreme Court could rule on these cases as early as today.
4. Roswell will soon get a new cemetery for veterans. The only other cemetery in the state is in Santa Fe.
3. Firefighters are trying to get and keep control of two new wildfires in New Mexico right now. The Rio Vista Run Fire and the West Arroyo Alamo Fire are on either side of the river in Chimayo. Firefighters are mostly mopping up these fires.
2. Get ready for the extreme heat this week. Stay in the shade if you’re outdoors, drink lots of water, and use fans if you don’t have a swamp cooler or A/C.
1.Today…Mostly sunny. Highs 94 to 100. South winds 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. Tonight…Mostly clear. Lows in the 60s. South winds 10 to 15 mph in the evening. Tuesday…Mostly sunny. Highs 93 to 101. South winds 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon.