5. Did you see the moon overnight? At one point, it was blood red, the Blood Moon, is part of the total lunar eclipse. If you missed it, you’ll have three more chances to catch it again within the next year.
4. Internet giant Google is buying Moriarty’s Titan Aerospace, a solar-powered drone manufacturer. Google wants to use the drones to help take the Internet into remote parts of the world. Right now about 30 people work for Titan, but that’s expected to grow to a couple of hundred.
3. A disturbing case of child abuse in Albuquerque. Ashley Montano is in jail this morning. Investigators say she beat her boyfriend’s two-year-old daughter so badly, the toddler’s brain was bleeding and she had to be rushed to emergency surgery. Police say Montano told them she did it because the child was having a temper tantrum.
2. It’s April 15th, income tax day. Don’t forget, you have until Midnight tonight to file your taxes or an extensions. The main post off in Albuquerque on Broadway near Lomas is open until 7 pm. There are plenty of tax day deals and freebies out there, to get a list check here on KRQE.com.
1. Bundle up, we’re getting a chilly start to the day but it’ll warm up to be sunny with a high near 72 and a light wind becoming southwest 10 to 15 mph this morning. Tonight, it’ll be partly cloudy with a low around 40 and a south wind 5 to 10 mph .
Bundle up, we’re getting a chilly start to the day but it’ll warm up to be sunny with a high near 72 and a light wind becoming southwest 10 to 15 mph this morning. Tonight, it’ll be partly cloudy with a low around 40 and a south wind 5 to 10 mph .
Five things you need to know before you go this morning.
5. Today’s big national headline, three people were murdered at Jewish centers near Kansas City. Investigators say a white supremacist and former Ku Klux Klan leader, Frazier Glenn Cross killed a grandfather and grandson at a Jewish Community Center Sunday, then a woman at a Jewish retirement home.
4. One of the most popular stories on KRQE.com, UFC champ Jon “bones” Jones has his exotic cat back home this morning, and the man who helped find the missing feline has a nice reward. The cat, Mufasa was returned to Jones Friday after Kyle Dropinski heard the story started looking for Mufasa. He found him in a tree and Animal Control officers helped get Mufasa down. Jones then forked over the $1500 reward.
3. Dozens of people turned out Sunday to remember James Boyd, four weeks to the day after he was shot by Albuquerque Police. The confrontation started after residents complained Boyd, was camping illegally in the foothills. Boyd died as a result of his injuries. At a Sunday funeral services for the homeless man with mental issues, those who knew Boyd remembered him as a generous and kind man who was often misunderstood.
2. Cleanup begins this morning at Zia Elementary School in northeast Albuquerque after a fire in the cafeteria yesterday. Albuquerque firefighters are getting a lot of praise for knocking this fire down quickly in some wicked winds. No word on what started the fire, but neighbors say a couple of kids were playing on the roof of the school earlier today. This doesn’t effect students today because this week is Spring break for APS.
1. Expect a cooler day indoor day for kids on Spring break. It’ll be sunny but the high is projected at 57, with an east wind of 10 to 15 mph which will become variable in the afternoon. Tonight, it’ll be mostly clear, with a low around 31, and a north wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
Expect a cooler day indoor day for kids on Spring break. It’ll be sunny but the high is projected at 57, with an east wind of 10 to 15 mph which will become variable in the afternoon. Tonight, it’ll be mostly clear, with a low around 31, and a north wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
5. UConn, the University of Connecticut basketball players are waking up champions this morning. UConn beat Kentucky 60-54 in the men’s NCAA final game, destroying most people’s brackets. Few expected either team to make it to the finals. U-Conn was suspended last year because of problems with grades, and Kentucky is a team comprised mostly of freshmen.
4. The US Supreme Court is refusing to hear a New Mexico photographer’s case. Elaine’s Photograpahy refused to shoot a gay couple’s commitment ceremony in 2006. The State Supreme Court ruled the business violated New Mexico’s anti-discrimination lawsuit
3. Get outside and enjoy the weather today, it’ll be sunny with a high near 75, and a light northwest sinde increasing 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Tonight, it’ll be clear with a low around 44, and a northwest wind of 5 to 10 mph becoming variable after midnight.
2. About 115 people signed up to speak about the Albuquerque Police Department at last night’s City Council meeting. The Council cleared its agenda to hear the public comments, most were critical of APD, however a handful of people spoke in favor of the department. Councilors listened but made no decisions.
1. Thursday the Department of Justice will finally release its results of its year and a half long investigation into the culture in the Albuquerque Police Department and officers’ use of deadly force. The report is expected to include better ways to hir and train officers and changes to APD’s internal affairs division. Keep it tuned to KRQE onair and KRQE.com online for the latest on the DOJ results