5. Creating a buzz nationwide today, the teenager who managed to stowaway in the wheel well of a flight from San Jose, California to Hawaii. Authorities are investigation how the teen got past airport security, then they want to know how he survived the flight in sub-freezing temperatures with little oxygen.
4. It’s not football season yet, but there’s already bad news for the UNM Lobos. Star running back Crusoe Gongbay is in jail, accused of raping another student. News 13 has learned a female student says she was taken from an off-campus house party, and raped in a car by Gongbay and two other men, then dropped off at the dorms.
3. Another nice day in Albuquerque in the Metro area, it’ll be mostly sunny with a high near 84. Breezy, with an east wind 10 to 15 mph becoming south 20 to 25 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 35 mph. Tonight, expect isolated showers and thunderstorms. It’ll be partly cloudy with a low around 47, and a south wind of 15 to 25 mph diminishing after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 35 mph, and there’s a 10 % chance of precipitation.
2. A scary situation for APD overnight. It started just like the situation yesterday morning, and in the same area near Zuni and Wyoming. Officers say a man was pointing a gun a people and when police spotted him, he pointed a gun at them. The man then jumped in a stolen car, according to police, and fled. The man later ditched the car near Rio Bravo and Isleta and took off on foot. An APD canine officer caught up with him, and the man was taken into custody.
1. Today we should learn more about APD’s latest deadly shooting. Monday morning an officer shot and killed 19 year old Mary Hawkes. Police say they started chasing the suspected car thief, when she pointed a gun at police and officer opened fire, killing her. This is the 24th deadly shooting in APD since 2010, and the first one since the Department of Justice recently criticized APD for using deadly force too often.