5. Today will be partly cloudy and breezy. The highs will be in the upper 40s to mid 50s. Tonight you can expect scattered rain and snow showers and then isolated snow showers after midnight.
4. If your alarm clock is blinking this morning or it didn’t go off on time, perhaps you were more than two thousand people in Albuquerque who lost power this morning. Police are blaming it all on a drunk driver who hit an electric pole. It happened near Fourth and Candaleria.
3. Are you looking for a job? There’s a job fair going on today. It’s from 11am to 3pm at the Marriott Pyramid in Albuquerque. There will be several employers on hand offering entry level to profession employment opportunities.
2. Looking for last minute Valentine’s gifts? Give your sweetheart a little “me” time is always a treat. Skin Bliss Salon and Spa in Albuquerque’s Old Town says they’re taking reservations all the way up to the last minute today. Want to buy flowers? There are still shops in town who can help you score a perfect bouquet. Call ahead!
1. The body of Whitney Houston is back in her hometown of Newark, New Jersey this morning. Her family is making arrangements for a funeral, which could be held on Friday.
Q. Could the cold winter air be bad for your health or your heart?
A. Strenuous work in the cold is not recommended because the platelets in the blood can become sticky which can increase your risk of heart attack. Breathing in cold air can cause spasms in the bronchials of the airways and make people feel short of breath thus putting more strain on the heart. Because a lot of people are sedentary in the winter, doctors say that shoveling snow can be stressful on the heart.
5. Today: Mostly sunny, with a high near 54. West wind between 5 and 10 mph. Tonight: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 31. West wind between 5 and 10 mph.
4. Be careful as you head out the door this morning. The roads in Albuquerque are fine this morning but as you head north they are a mess by Raton, Chama and Farmington.
3. A missing Texas girl has been found in Northern New Mexico. We told you about this last week after her case sparked an amber alert here. State Police say 11 year old Jessica Smith was taken away by her mom. Both were found ok but taken to hospital to be evaluated. The mom faces charges of aggravated assault and endangering a child.
2. Here’s a reminder guys: Valentine’s day is tomorrow. In case you’re way behind schedule you can still get flowers. Some of the online flower shops will still let you order them today. And call around locally too.
1. It looks like we we won’t know for several more weeks what caused the death of Whitney Houston. The pop sensation’s autopsy is complete but officials are waiting for toxicology reports. The 48 year old singer was found dead in her hotel room at the Beverly Hilton Saturday afternoon. There was a huge tribute for her at last night’s Grammys.
A big Powerball jackpot this weekend! We want to know what the FIRST thing you would buy if you won the $310 million prize? Leave your comments here and we will read them on the morning show from 4:30 to 7am.
5. Today: A slight chance of rain showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 50. South wind around 5 mph becoming west. Chance of precipitation is 10%. Tonight: A 10 percent chance of snow showers. Partly cloudy, with a low around 29. North wind around 5 mph.
4. A big controversy with the pastor of a mega church in Albuquerque. The pastor of Legacy Church Steve Smothermon says he’s upset with Governor Martinez for appointing a gay man to the PRC. That prompted dozens of protestors to go outside of the church this weekend to let people know they’re not happy with what he said.
3. Gas prices keep jumping. According to AAA, in one week it’s gone up seven cents. The average price in New Mexico is now $3.18. In Albuquerque it’s $3.07. One week ago it was three dollars.
2. Did you catch the halftime show at the Super Bowl yesterday? Madonna rocked it but that’s not what people are talking about…instead it’s MIA’s finger malfunction. It looks like she flips off the camera and mouths a four letter word. Now the NFL and NBC are apologizing for what happened.
1. The Super Bowl commercials is what everyone is going to be talking about today. “The Volswagon Star Wars – Dog Strikes Back” commercial was ranked number one by a local advertising agency that conducted a nationwide poll.