5 Things You Need to Know Before You GoAugust 28th, 2014 at 6:00 am by Mary Ann Hatchitt under 5 Things, Latest Posts, Morning Show
5. A plant to help with flood control is causing concerns because it’s also poisonous. The City of Albuquerque planted the Virginia Creeper vine at Zuni park to help keep water from running into the street. But the City admits, the plant’s berries are toxic. Neighbors are concerned the children or animals will eat the berries, and get sick.
4. Protesters took to the streets of Albuquerque again last night. They’re opposed to a national law enforcement shooting competition scheduled to take place in the city. They say the competition is inappropriate given the number of police shootings.
3. Santa Fe’s City Council voted five to four last night to decriminalize the possession of small amounts of marijuana. There were questions whether the City could get the measure on the November ballot, so instead, councilors passed the law themselves. Santa Fe’s Mayor supports the decision.
2. The Federal Aviation Administration will be investigating a plane crash that killed four people near the Las Cruces airport last night. Witnesses tell State Police the plane was flying low before it went down shortly after takeoff, about a mile south of Interstate 10. The plane burst into flames on impact, killing everyone on board. So far, no names have been released. The plane was headed to Phoenix.
1. Expect it to be drier and warmer today. Mostly sunny, with a high near 88 and northeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon. Tonight partly cloudy, with a low around 58, a 5 to 10 mph northwest wind becoming light and variable in the evening.