5 Things You Need to Know Before You GoAugust 5th, 2014 at 6:00 am by Mary Ann Hatchitt under 5 Things, Morning Show
5. Have you seen the video of one of Albuquerque’s most popular UFC fighters getting into it at a news conference. Yesterday, Jon Bones Jones was supposed to be promoting his fight with Daniel Cormier yesterday when Cormier pushed him, and a big brawl started.
4. At least one of Albuquerque’s City Councilors wants city residents to vote on reducing penalties for marijuana possession in the Duke City. Rey Garduño says it’s not fair that the city told a group it needs more petition signatures than they were originally told to get the issue on the November ballot. Councilor Garduño wants the council to vote on the issue at their next meeting.
3. How can Albuquerque prevent the kind of flooding that happened downtown Friday night, and keep people from getting stranded in flood water? City officials are tackling that topic right now. Some of the ideas being floated include installing signs to warn people in low-lying areas about the possibility of flooding. There’s also discussion about rebuilding the underpass at Central Avenue and the train tracks where cars can become completely submerged.
2. We expect to learn more today about a deadly shooting involving a Bernalillo County Sheriff’s deputy. It happened Monday night near Coors Blvd. and Gun Club Road. Deputes say a suspect they were after kept ramming a deputy’s car when the deputy shot and killed the man.
1. Another mostly sunny day with a high near 90, and isolated showers and thunderstorms after noon. A light and variable wind becoming west 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. The chance of precipitation is 10% in the morning and evening, as well. Tonight isolated showers and thunderstorms before midnight, with party cloudy skies and a low around 61, and a west wind 5 to 10 mph becoming north after midnight.