Five Things You Need to Know Before You Go.July 15th, 2014 at 6:01 am by Mary Ann Hatchitt under 5 Things, Latest Posts, Morning Show
5. The Fox hit show “American Idol” is sending its bus to Albuquerque today. They’re auditioning contestants to see who could be the next American Idol. Auditions are going on today from 9am to 5pm in Old Town Albuquerque. There’s entertainment for those waiting to audition. Check out KRQE.com Links for everything you need to know about auditioning.
4. The first wave of immigrants from Central America have been deported from the Law Enforcement Training Center in Artesia where they were being housed. Forty immigrants were bused to a plane in Roswell and flown back to Honduras yesterday. Immigration officials say the deportations are a sign to others fleeing poverty and persecution in Central America that the United States will send them back to their homeland.
3. A small group of protesters gathered at a busy intersection in northeast Albuquerque last night, close to the home of Mayor R.J. Berry. Some are calling for Berry to resign his post as mayor saying he’s done little or nothing to fix the city’s ongoing problems with the police force.
2. The Albuquerque Police Officers Union isn’t talking yet about the lawsuit filed against it by two of its members. Officers John Doyle and Robert Wollever were fired after a security camera captured one of them kicking a suspect while he was face down. The officers say the union failed to represent them and conspired with then Police Chief Ray Schultz to hold them up as sacrificial lambs as the Department of Justice was investigating APD.
1. Isolated showers and thunderstorms today, partly sunny, with a high near 90. A 5 to 10 mph east wind becoming light and variable, with a 20% chance of precipitation. Tonight scattered showers and thunderstorms which could produce heavy rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 66. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 50%.