5 Things You Need to Know Before You GoJuly 4th, 2014 at 6:00 am by Avicra Luckey under 5 Things, Morning Show
Time for the five things you need to know before you go this morning.
5. We start with the big national news and Hurricane Arthur slamming into North Carolina. It’s a category two storm right now with winds at 100 miles per hour. Arthur’s cancelled a bunch of July 4th fireworks shows, from North Carolina, all the way to Maine. New York City’s fireworks display is still scheduled for tonight. Incidently, this is the first hurricane to hit on July 4th, in recorded history.
4. Back here in New Mexico, are you ready for some BBQ? Then head out to the Santa Ana Star Center in Rio Rancho for the Pork and Brew. It’s New Mexico’s Barbeque Championship with meat, rubs and sauces from all around. Tickets are just five bucks, then get you some BBQ bucks.
3. If fireworks are more your thing, tonight you can check out the Isotopes game or Albuquerque’s Freedom 4th at Balloon Fiesta Park. Gates open at 3:00p.m. It’s free to get in, but you do have to pay $10 to park, or a dollar for Park and Ride from Coronado Center or Saint Pius High School. That’s your best bet. Traffic is expected to be a mess.
2. There are power outages all over the Albuquerque area, thanks to the storms last night. PNM crews have been working all night long and have a lot of the outages fixed. Some were caused by exploding transformers. PNM says the rest of the outages should be fixed soon.
1. More storms could be on the way for the Fourth of July holiday.