5 Things You Need to Know Before You GoJune 17th, 2014 at 6:00 am by Mary Ann Hatchitt under 5 Things, Latest Posts, Morning Show
5 Things You Need to Know Before You Go
5. The United States won its first match of the World Cup last night, beating Ghana two to one. It certainly helped when Clint Dempsey scored one of the fastest goals in World Cup history. The U.S. takes on Portugal Sunday.
4. Major news out of Iraq this morning. The U.S. And Iran are taking about working together to stop the fighting instigated by the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria. Fighting in the region has already caused a four percent spike in crude oil prices this month, and gasoline prices have gone up a few cents per gallon this week.
3. The cost of the Albuquerque Police Department mess continues to escalate. Now the attorney, hand-picked by the Mayor’s office to negotiate the recommended Department of Justice reforms, first got a $70,000 contract. Now the City’s paying him another $150,000 on top of that. The cost of attorney Scott Greenwood’s services could end up costing the city a half a million dollars before its over.
2. A state of emergency’s been declared on the Navajo Nation where a massive wildfire has torched about 17 square miles and it continues to grow. More than 700 people are battling the fire burning north of Gallup. Tribal Police issues an evacuation Monday for the 400 people who live in the Naschitti and Sheep Springs area.
1. High fire danger continues today, with a 10 percent chance of isolated showers and thunderstorms that may produce gusty winds after 1pm. Mostly sunny, with a high near 94. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest 15 to 20 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph. Tonight partly cloudy with a low around 56, isolated showers and thunderstorms could produce gusty winds.