Five Things You Need to Know Before You GoJune 6th, 2014 at 5:59 am by Mary Ann Hatchitt under 5 Things, Morning Show
5. Tingley Beach is stocked with catfish in anticipation of tomorrow’s National Free Fishing Day. Anglers won’t need a license to fish, and there are free classes all day long.
4. If you thought Albuquerque’s grasshopper invasion was bad, at least they don’t bite. So many mosquitoes have hatched in Clovis that the bloodsuckers are visible on radar. They invaded after the heavy Memorial Day rains. The City of Clovis is working to get them under control.
3. Another warning about scammers in Albuquerque, this time about a bogus security group pretending to work at the Sunport. They take people’s cash and personal information. For details, check out Kim Holland’s, “On Special Assignment” report here on KRQE.com.
2. Albuquerque’s Police Department is facing another lawsuit over a deadly shooting. This one happened four years ago in a westside Walmart parking lot, when Detective Kevin Sanchez shot and killed suspected car thief Mickey Owings. The U.S. Department of Justice used this shooting as an example of APD’s recklessness in using deadly force. Attorney Shannon Kennedy filed a lawsuit yesterday on behalf of Owings’ three children.
1. Today it’ll be sunny and hot, with a high near 99, and a northeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon. Tonight, it’ll be partly cloudy with a low around 55, and a west wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable.