5 Things You Need to Know Before You GoMay 13th, 2014 at 6:00 am by Mary Ann Hatchitt under 5 Things, Morning Show
5. Trending on KRQE.com this morning, the story about the suspension of Sandia High School’s athletic director. Sources tell News 13, Tom Knauber is accused of planting a pot pipe in the boy’s basketball coach’s desk to get him in trouble. Some of Knauber’s former coaches reportedly had issues with him in the past..
4. Concern in the hot air ballooning community this morning after the National Transportation Safety Board indicates it may consider some regulatory changes following a horrific deadly fire and crash in Virginia last week. The NTSB is considering requiring more training, inspections and licensing for hot air balloon pilots. The concern is increased regulations could mean fewer pilots and fewer balloons attending Albuquerque’s International Hot Air Balloon Fiesta.
3. Firefighters are hard at it in the Gila Wilderness trying to get the “Signal Fire” under control this morning. So far there’s been no containment of the fire that’s scorched 4700 acres 10 miles north of Silver City. About 300 firefighters, several helicopters and an air tanker are battling the fire today.
2. Snow in Mid-May and unseasonably cold temperatures impacting some roads in the northern part of the state. US 64 and other roads in and around Taos are snow-packed and icy this morning. The system that hit New Mexico is also responsible for three feet of snow in Colorado, flooding in Texas, and tornadoes in the Midwest.
1. Expect an east wind of 5 to 15 mph today with partly sunny skies and a high near 61. Tonight, it’ll be mostly clear with a low around 34 and and east wind 5 to 15 mph.