5 Things You Need to Know Before You GoMay 12th, 2014 at 6:00 am by Mary Ann Hatchitt under 5 Things, Morning Show
5. A horrific hot air balloon crash in Virginia claimed the lives of three people when the balloon slammed into some powerlines. The pilot, Daniel Kirk, was apparently killed in the crash. Kirk participated in the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta in 2011.
4. High winds swept through New Mexico Sunday, fueling the Signal Fire in the Gila Wilderness which is still going strong. So far it’s burned about 27-hundred acres. Hot shot crews and 4 helicopters are doing battle with the fire. A fire in the mountains east of Albuquerque that sparked up over the weekend, is now out.
3. If Albuquerque’s police officers got paid more, would it make the department better with fewer officers getting in trouble. Some City leaders say yes, and they plan to talk about that at a City Council Finance Committee meeting later today.
2. This is graduation week for thousands of Albuquerque Public School seniors. Two graduation ceremonies will take place per day this week, with three on Saturday. Today Atrisco Heritage Academy seniors graduate at 2:30, Eldorado’s graduation begins at 6:30pm. For a list of days, times and school graduation ceremonies, check on KRQE.com newslinks.
1. It’ll be partly sunny today with a high near 64, and northwest 5 to 10 mph wind becoming west in the afternoon. Tonight expect isolated showers and thunderstorms. Mostly clouds, with a low around 36 and a north wind 5 to 10 mpn becoming east 10 to 15 mpn in the evening. There’s a 20% chance of precipitation