5 Things You Need to Know Before You GoMay 5th, 2014 at 6:00 am by Mary Ann Hatchitt under 5 Things, Morning Show
5. A big talker nationally this morning, a horrible accident during a circus in Rhode Island. Eight acrobats fell as far as 40 feet yesterday when a wire snapped during their performance. The acrobats and a dancer on the ground were all badly hurt in the accident.
4. A controlled burn got out of hand in Oklahoma, which is also is dealing with drought and fire danger. One man died after he refused to leave his home in the path of the resulting massive wildfire that spread Sunday to as many as four thousand acres, consuming several homes.
3. New Mexico continues to deal with high fire danger today, it’ll be sunny with a high near 86, and a light variable wind becoming west 10 to 15 mph in the morning. Tonight expect partly cloudy skies with a high around 45 and a southwest wind of 10 to 15 mph becoming light and variable after midnight. ,
2. Albuquerque City Council chambers are likely to be packed again for tonight’s meeting where councilors are considering changes to the way the city hires a police chief. Right now the Mayor makes that decision, but some want voters to decide, others wan the City Council to approve the Mayor’s pick.
1. We’re hoping to learn more today about APD’s latest deadly shooting of 50 year old Armand Martin. He was shot to death by a 12 year APD veteran following a six hour SWAT standoff Saturday. Police say Martin walked outside his Ventana Ranch home and opened fire on police with two handguns.