5 Things You Need to Know Before You GoApril 11th, 2014 at 6:00 am by Rebecca Valdez under 5 Things, Morning Show
Time for the five things you need to know before you go this morning.
5. Quick work by Albuquerque police who managed to locate a stolen diamond. A thief lifted the three carat diamond that’s been housed at the New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science on Wednesday. The thief was trying to hock it at local pawn shops. One store owner recognized it and contacted police.
4. Even though it’s still spring, the boys of summer are already playing hard this season. Tonight, the Albuquerque Isotopes have their home opener. The game against Tacoma starts at 7:05 p.m.
3. Today will be sunny with a high near 81. Winds will be light at 10 mph in the afternoon. Tonight you can expect cloudy skies with lows around 50. Winds could get up to 15 mph.
2. The Department of Justice federal 18-month-investigation into Albuquerque’s Police Department was brutal. According to the report there’s a pattern of excessive force in the department officers use deadly force too frequently on people who posed a minimal threat. Justice says APD officers need more training and tools to ensure they can protect without escalating potentially violent situations.
1. Today is a new beginning, a fresh start for Albuquerque police. as the department and the city start making changes based on the justice department’s recommendations. Mayor R.J. Berry says his administration is ready to make changes and the path forward is vital as Albuquerque begins negotiating with the justice department to reform the police force. The mayor says a key component will be public involvement.