5 Things You Need to Know Before You GoApril 8th, 2014 at 5:47 am by Mary Ann Hatchitt under 5 Things, Morning Show
5. UConn, the University of Connecticut basketball players are waking up champions this morning. UConn beat Kentucky 60-54 in the men’s NCAA final game, destroying most people’s brackets. Few expected either team to make it to the finals. U-Conn was suspended last year because of problems with grades, and Kentucky is a team comprised mostly of freshmen.
4. The US Supreme Court is refusing to hear a New Mexico photographer’s case. Elaine’s Photograpahy refused to shoot a gay couple’s commitment ceremony in 2006. The State Supreme Court ruled the business violated New Mexico’s anti-discrimination lawsuit
3. Get outside and enjoy the weather today, it’ll be sunny with a high near 75, and a light northwest sinde increasing 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Tonight, it’ll be clear with a low around 44, and a northwest wind of 5 to 10 mph becoming variable after midnight.
2. About 115 people signed up to speak about the Albuquerque Police Department at last night’s City Council meeting. The Council cleared its agenda to hear the public comments, most were critical of APD, however a handful of people spoke in favor of the department. Councilors listened but made no decisions.
1. Thursday the Department of Justice will finally release its results of its year and a half long investigation into the culture in the Albuquerque Police Department and officers’ use of deadly force. The report is expected to include better ways to hir and train officers and changes to APD’s internal affairs division. Keep it tuned to KRQE onair and KRQE.com online for the latest on the DOJ results