Live Blog: ABQ City Council meetingApril 7th, 2014 at 5:17 pm by Chelo Rivera under Latest Posts, Live Events
The Albuquerque City Council meeting regarding the controversy surrounding APD is underway. @ChrisMcKeeTV is live tweeting from there.
- The crowd has thinned out but public comment continues. This meeting started at 5pm.pic.twitter.com/fxUaPqh2HC
- Councilor Diane Gibson: “We are listening” — urges crowd to calm down as lots of people are boo’ing, overpowering APD supporters speaking
- Another APD supporter speaking, Says there are “more honorable officers than not.”
- Elaine Duran speaking now about support for APD — “we strongly oppose any task force demands.” Garners loud boos from audience.
- Ellis: “We’ve got a unique opportunity here,” Ellis also acknowledges the DOJ findings will come down on Thursday
- Kenneth Ellis is now speaking, “we’re all in this together.” “It’s very disturbing to me its taken 4 years of me coming & speaking with you”
- Man now presenting his support for APD, “I’ve been pulled over by APD and I’m still alive.” Blames NM’s “weak criminal justice system”
- Speaker puts up image showing his dissatisfaction of Mayor Berry. “The buck stops at the mayor’s desk.”pic.twitter.com/ynge6aGjdB
- Same person who live streamed APD protest last weekend, Thomas Dixon also live streaming council meeting. pic.twitter.com/WxJ7yI3WeC
- At least one person in meeting continuously holding up “I support APD” sign. pic.twitter.com/C3z8EQwgS2
- Four public “presentations” have now finished. Councilors now questioning presenters, then official “public comment” will start.
- Now speaking: Ralph Arellanes, director of New Mexico LULAC now speaking, making several demands from police oversight task force.
- @KatherineKRQE will have a live report from council chambers in a couple minutes on @krqeat 5:30. More than 100 have signed up to comment
- Nicole Moreland speaking now, sister in law of Christopher Torres who was killed in APD shooting years ago. Slammed several city officials.
- Mayor RJ Berry is not here at tonight’s city council meeting, many in crowd boo’ed at the announcement.
- ABQ city council has begun. Full house w/ many expected to speak about James Boyd shooting & APD pic.twitter.com/vAs7ODi6Ql