5 Things You Need to Know Before You Go: January 23, 2014January 23rd, 2014 at 6:00 am by Rebecca Valdez under 5 Things, Morning Show
Time for the five things you need to know before you go this morning.
5. There’s a new place for before and after school programs in Albuqeurque’s SouthValley. It’s on Pajarito Road and caters to kids from Pajarito Elementary, PolkMiddle School and Rio Grande High. There are tutors to help with homework and extra-curricular programs including science, drama and literacy. Funds to pay for the new building came from a grant for kids in high-poverty areas.
4. The candy lady lost out to her long-time landlor. A judge ruled in the landlord’s favor meaning the 30-year-old sweets store in old town has to move by Feb. 28. Owner Debbie Davis, who also goes by Debbie Ball, intends to relocate in old town.
3. The state board of finance anted up $1.8 million dollars for probation and parole to buy the PlazaMayaOfficeBuilding in downtown Albuquerque parole officers will work there but offenders will not report there. The move should be done by the end of the year. Around the same time the controversial Monte Vista probation and parle office closes.
2. The daughter of the murdered Ohlemacher’s is to take the stand today in the long-delayed murder trial of Ronald Santiago. He’s accused of killing the couple in the Paradise Hill home in 2005. The defense has been pointing the finger at the couple’s daughter. KRQE will be in the courtroom as this prosecution and defense deliver their cases.
1. Today you can expect mostly cloudy skies with a high near 39. Winds will come in from the east at 25 to 35 mph. Tonight you can expect to see a partly cloudy sky with a low around 19 degrees. East winds will blow in at 15 to 20 mph becoming north at five to 10 mph after midnight.