5 Things You Need to Know Before You Go: January 20, 2014January 20th, 2014 at 5:58 am by Matt Mauro under 5 Things, Morning Show
5. The Albuquerque Public School district is changing summer school curriculum this year. Instead of going over information students have already learned during the regular school year, APS now intends to cover new information in summer classes, which the district says will help students progress even more.
4. Nathanial Tavarez, the boy shot last Tuesday at Berrendo Middle School in Roswell, is now breathing on his own. Kendal Sanders, the other student hit, remains hospitalized as well following a second operation. The alleged shooter, 12-year-old Mason Campbell remains in Albuquerque at a psychiatric hospital.
3. Students and families at Roswell’s Berrendo Middle School, site of last Tuesday’s shooting by a student, will be getting some extra support this weekend when 23 students at Arapahoe High School in Colorado travel to Roswell to share their experience after a student at their school shot a killed a 17 year old girl last month, then killed himself.
2. The constitutional amendment to legalize marijuana for recreational use, officially filed late last week, could allow the state to tax it. Lawmakers would have to approve the constitutional amendment making marijuana possession, sale, distribution and recreational use legal, then it would have to be approved by voters before becoming law.
1. You can expect another mild day on this Monday, sunny skies with a high near 59 and a northwest wind 10 to 15 mph. Tonight it will be mostly clear with a low around 23 and a northwest wind from 5 to 10 mph.