5 Things You Need to Know Before You Go: January 14, 2014January 14th, 2014 at 5:58 am by Matt Mauro under 5 Things, Morning Show
Time for the 5 things you need to know before you go.
5. An outbreak of the flu has already claimed the life of one New Mexico woman. Health officials say symptoms include coughing, congestion, fever, body aches and overwhelming fatigue. Doctors say the best form of protection for any of these strains of influenza is a flu shot.
4. The city has reached a proposed $300,00 settlement with the estate of Jacob Mitschelen, who was shot and killed by Officer Trey Economidy after a 2011 traffic stop. The amount is roughly what it would have cost the city to fight the federal lawsuit filed against Economidy and APD in court.
3. According to an online advertisement, some female students at the University of New Mexico are signing up to find a “sugar daddy” online to pay their tuition.
2. New Mexico is now the fifth state in the nation to allow doctors to help terminally ill patients die. District Judge Nash ruled yesterday it’s a fundamental right. With this ruling, New Mexico doctors can no longer be prosecuted under the state’s assisted suicide law.
1. It’ll be mostly clear today with a low around 26 and a northwest wind around 5 mph. Tonight, it’ll be mostly clear with a low around 24, a north wind of 5mph becomes calm in the evening.