Bernalillo County to enforce new pet lawsAugust 25th, 2013 at 3:47 pm by manettenewbold under Latest Posts
ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – Pet owners in Bernalillo County get ready. Come Monday, new animal-care ordinances go into effect.
Here’s what to expect:
- All dogs and cats must be microchipped.
- Animals found twice running loose will be sterilized.
- Dogs can no longer just be tethered or chained. They must be fenced in a yard or in a kennel with adequate room for them to play or jump.
- It’s now illegal to transport your dog in the open bed of a truck. It must be in a kennel or crate secured to the truck.
- A litter permit is needed if your dog has puppies or if your cat has kittens.
- A breeder permit is required for every animal used for breeding.
Additional information is available on the county Animal Care Services website at www.bernco.gov/animal-care/.