5 Things You Need To Know Before You Go | August 23, 2013August 23rd, 2013 at 6:15 am by Rebecca Valdez under 5 Things, Morning Show
5. Albuquerque’s Police Department is getting sued yet again. This time for handcuffing kids and putting them in police cars. The suit says it’s child abuse. Police say they had the right to cuff the kids.
4. We continue to follow the latest with gay marriage in New Mexico. Doña Ana County’s clerk says he’s only seen one negative e-mail since giving gay couples marriage licenses this week. However, a dozen republican state legislators will soon file a lawsuit seeking a court order to stop this saying the roundhouse decides laws not county clerks.
3. Good news for business in Downtown Albuquerque. Two new shops are opening up, a jewelry store called Stella and Dot’s opens today. Also a new cafe will open soon. The Downtown Action Committee says this is just a sign of things to come.
2. More good news this about the state budget. The economy is growing and legislators could have an extra 300 million dollars to pass around next year. Savings and education are two big areas where they say the extra money should go.
1. We could see some storms this afternoon. It will start off mostly sunny this morning then turn partly cloudy with isolated showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs will be in the mid 80s to lower 90s. Tonight will be partly cloudy with isolated showers and thunderstorms with lows in the lower to mid 60s.