5 Things You Need To Know Before You Go | August 2, 2013August 2nd, 2013 at 6:15 am by Rebecca Valdez under 5 Things, Morning Show
5. A federal judge in Albuquerque is expected to decide today if Valley Meat company in Roswell can begin slaughtering horses Monday. The Humane Society of the United States and others are requesting a restraining order to block the company’s from beginning domestic horse slaughter.
4. Remember the gun shop that held the controversial coyote killing contest? Well now Gunhawk Firearms in Los Lunas is hosting a prairie dog hunting contest August 10th through the 17th. Opponents are calling this a cruel publicity stunt. Gun shop workers feel that they’re helping out farmers and ranchers.
3. Rio Rancho residents are being asked to pick between public safety and higher education in a special election. Voters will decide whether to fund UNM’s Rio Rancho campus or if beef up public safety. City Councilor Chuck Wilkins thinks since Rio Rancho’s UNM campus is under-utilized. The tax hike approved by 2/3rds of the voters for education should be rolled back and replaced with a different tax to hire more cops and firefighters. Mayor Tom Swisstack is opposed saying the Rio Rancho needs to keep its promise to UNM we’ll keep you posted how this plays out.
2. Parents and shoppers listen up. Tax-free weekend is here. From tonight until Sunday shoppers can get many items tax free including clothes for school, computers and school supplies. Go to KRQE.com links for more information.
1. Today will be partly cloudy with isolated showers and thunderstorms in the morning then scattered showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. The highs will be in the 80s. Tonight will be partly cloudy with isolated showers and thunderstorms. Lows will be in the 60s.