5 Things You Need To Know Before You Go | August 1, 2013August 1st, 2013 at 6:15 am by Rebecca Valdez under 5 Things, Morning Show
5. Get yourself a lotto ticket because Saturday’s Powerball jackpot is now at $290 million after no one won last night. If you take the cash that’s $168.4 million. Good luck.
4. More controversy about that horse slaughterhouse in Roswell and this time it’s getting support. The Navajo Nation says it’s for the slaughterhouse because it has so many wild horses running loose in its land. The plant is set to open Monday but there’s a federal court hearing tomorrow that could prevent that.
3. A bill that would reduce federal student loan interest rates is waiting for the president’s signature. The house passed the senate’s bill yesterday. It drops the rates to 3.9% for under grads, that’s from 6.8%. The rates will be tied to the financial markets so they could go up in the future.
2. Parents get ready to shop. Tax-free weekend here in New Mexico starts tomorrow and goes until Sunday night. To find a list of everything that’s tax free and not tax free go to KRQE newslinks.
1. Today will be partly cloudy with isolated showers and thunderstorms in the morning then scattered showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Some thunderstorms may produce heavy rainfall in the afternoon. The highs will be in the mid 80s to lower 90s. Tonight will also be partly cloudy with scattered showers and thunderstorms. Some thunderstorms may produce heavy rainfall in the evening. The lows will be in the 60s with southwest winds 10 to 15 mph in the evening.