5 Things You Need To Know Before You Go | July 5, 2013July 5th, 2013 at 6:15 am by Rebecca Valdez under 5 Things, Morning Show
5. Looking for some fun and great food this weekend? Head on out to the Pork and Brew at the Santa Ana Star Center in Rio Rancho. It’s today and tomorrow from 11am to 8pm and Sunday from 11am to 5pm. Tickets are just $5 for adults and $3 for kids and seniors.
4. Student loans are going to be a big talker in D.C. congress goes back to work next week. Interest rates on subsidized Stafford Loans have doubled from 3.4% to 6.8%. That could cost college students thousands of extra dollars. The house has already agreed on a plan to fix the rates, the senate has not.
3. A fire update here in New Mexico. The Silver Fire down in the Gila is now 78% contained and has burned almost 140,000 acres. None of the Jaroso fire in the Pecos is contained while it’s burned about 11,000 acres.
2. Later today we could find out exactly how many illegal fireworks calls came into Albuquerque overnight. Despite the warnings about the drought and the laws, calls were pouring in all night. About 200 firefighters were out on patrol.
1. We could expect some more rain today with scattered showers and thunderstorms after noon. It will be mostly sunny, with a high near 94. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Tonight another chance for storms with scattered showers and thunderstorms, mainly before midnight. It will be mostly cloudy, with a low around 66. Chance of precipitation is 30%.