The 5 Things You Need To Know Before You Go | July 1, 2013July 1st, 2013 at 6:35 am by Rebecca Valdez under 5 Things, Latest Posts, Morning Show
Time for the five things you need to know before you go today…
5) It’s not what you need to hear to start your week off…Federal student loan interest rates are going up starting today. That’s because the U.S. Senate couldn’t agree on a plan to prevent the rates from doubling…from 3.4 to 6.8 percent. The House already approved a bill to keep the rates the same…the Senate will try again next week.
4) New laws here in New Mexico. One makes sex offenders who move here from other states register in New Mexico. Another makes workers pay more into PERA the Public Employee Retirement Association…and gives them less for their cost of living increases.
3) Almost 700 firefighters are now battling the Silver Fire…trying to prevent it from going west and burning 7 homes nearby. The fires burned more than 200 square miles…and is now 45 percent contained.
2) Today we could learn more about a horrible story…19 firefighters killed while battling the Yarnell hill fire in Arizona…about 85 miles Northwest of Phoenix. They were elite firefighters who often hiked for miles into the wilderness to build firelines around the flames. They were killed yesterday when winds kicked up and the fire quickly spread in their direction.
1) More rain could be on the way. Today will have scattered showers and thunderstorms, mainly after noon. It’ll be partly sunny, with a high near 86 with an east wind 10 to 15 mph decreasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Then tonight will have a 10% higher chance of scattered showers and thunderstorms. It’ll be mostly cloudy, with a low around 63 with an east wind 15 to 20 mph decreasing to 10 to 15 mph after midnight.