Water testing for Taos well usersJune 25th, 2013 at 3:18 pm by Bill Diven under Community Affairs
Free water testing for Taos County residents on private wells is being offered by the New Mexico state departments of environment and health.
The testing is being done on July 2 from 11 a.m.-5:30 p.m. at Coronado Hall at the Taos Convention Center.
Drinking water will be tested for arsenic, electrical conductivity, fluoride, iron, nitrate, sulfate and pH.
The Department of Health listed these guidelines for collecting a water sample to be tested:
- Use a clean glass or plastic container (at least a liter).
- Do not use containers that have a strong odor, such as citrus or pickle jars.
- Collect the sample before any water treatment systems such as reverse osmosis, water softener, or carbon filter.
- Let the water run for a couple of minutes before collecting the sample.
- Collect the sample as close to the time of testing as possible.
If available, please provide well depth, depth to water, well casing material (i.e., steel, PVC) and distance from well to the nearest septic tank/leachfield system.