The 5 Things You Need To Know Before You Go | February 13, 2013February 13th, 2013 at 6:35 am by Rebecca Valdez under 5 Things, Morning Show, News
Here are the five things you need to know before go this morning.
5) Today is Ash Wednesday and the first day of Lent for many Christian churches. It’s a season of prayer and penance — and a period of preparation for the Easter season. Lent lasts six and a half weeks, ending on Easter.
4) Looking for a job? Spruce up the resume and head to the gobs of jobs job fair. It’s at the marriott pyramid from 11 this morning the 3 this afternoon. Dozens of employers with hundreds of jobs available will be there.
3) It’s going to be a nicer day! Today will be sunny, with a high near 43 and a Northwest wind 10 to 15 mph. Then tonight will be mostly clear, with a low around 28 and a Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
2) Some big national news here. Investigators in San Bernardino County, California will use forensic tests to determine whether a charred body found inside a burned-out cabin is that of Christopher Dorner, the former Los Angeles police officer accused in at least four killings. Authorities say Dorner had barricaded himself in the cabin in Big Bear Lake Tuesday and had gotten into a shootout that killed a Deputy. The cabin then caught fire.
1) A big decision could come out of Santa Fe today about gun control legislation. The State House is expected to vote today on the Firearms Transfer Act. Many want to close the loophole concerning gun shows. Governor Susana Martinez is expected to sign the proposed bill once lawmakers pass it. The law will ensure that background checks are run on anyone buying firearms at gun shows -so that anyone with a criminal background cannot get their hands on a gun.