The 5 Things You Need To Know Before You Go | January 3, 2013January 3rd, 2013 at 6:35 am by Rebecca Valdez under 5 Things, N.M. Politics, News
Here are the five things you need to know before you go!
5) If you’re driving through Nob Hill today about noon, don’t be surprised if you see some scantily clad women giving out free food.They’re from PETA, The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals and they’ll be wearing nothing but some strategically placed leaves of lettuce. They’ll also be giving out free tofurky sandwhiches–that’s tofu turkey.
4) If you’re headed to the UPS or Fedex store…or any shipping centers today…then get ready to see some long lines! That’s because it’s National Returns Day–the day when most of us return Christmas presents. Overall, people will ship back about 2 million gifts.
3) On a very serious note, it’s going to be a very emotional day in Newtown, Connecticut as kids from Sandy Hook Elementary go back to school today. It’ll be the first time since that mass shooting last month that 20 kids and 6 adults were killed. They’re not going back to Sandy Hook but to a different elementary school nearby. Police will have extra security there today, just to be safe.
2) Here’s a good question if New Mexico loses tens of thousands of jobs from the Federal budget cuts that will probably happen in about two months, then what would it do to make up for them? That’s what the Governor and business leaders are talking about this afternoon at a big conference in Albuquerque. They say their goal is to get more private companies here. Specifically in technology and they want to change the tax structure to make that happen.
1) It’ll be a little warmer today with mostly sunny skies, a high near 32, and a wind chill values as low as zero! There will be an Eastern wind of 10 to 15 miles-per-hour. Then tonight will be mostly cloudy, with a low around 18 and an East wind around 5 miles-per-hour becoming North after midnight.