Tips for a theft free holiday seasonNovember 20th, 2012 at 12:11 pm by ryanprice under Latest Posts
Tips from the Rio Rancho Police Department on preventing theft this holiday season:
- Report suspicious activity. If someone or something seems out of place, call the police. We would rather check on something benign than never know about activity that is suspicious.
- Don’t keep valuables in your vehicle. Burglars are looking for easy targets and are window shopping in parking lots and neighborhoods. If it’s worth something to you, it’s probably worth something to a thief.
- While out shopping place your purchases in the trunk of your vehicle, or somewhere hidden from view.
- LOCK YOUR CAR! It seems obvious enough, but easily 75 percent of the auto burglary reports we take are due to the car or truck being unlocked.
- Clean out your garage, have a yard sale, and make room to park your vehicle in the garage. Cars and trucks parked in a garage don’t have to be “warmed up” in the mornings, and don’t get broken into!
- Don’t leave your car running unattended! Doing so is asking someone to come and take your vehicle for a spin, without you in it. And you wont get it back in the same condition you left it.
- While out shopping, if you would like someone to walk you to your car, just ask!
- Most retailers have employees who would be happy to make sure you get to your car safely.