5 Things You Need To Know | October 8, 2012October 8th, 2012 at 6:30 am by Rebecca Valdez under 5 Things, Morning Show, News
Time for the five things you need to know before you go today!
1) Three teenage inmates escaped from custody. One has been caught and the other two are still on the run. The Sandoval County Sheriff’s office says the three 18-year-olds bolted from a federal rehab center around Saturday night. The teens were spotted hiding out in a hotel in Cuba, NM. Deputies and U.S. Marshals are looking for McNeel Todechnee and Javier Colorow. Their federal records are sealed so we don’t know what they were serving time for.
2) The record-breaking jump that fearless felix plans to attempt over New Mexico has been postponed until tomorrow due to weather. The Austrian skydiver, Felix Baumgartner will attempt to break the sound barrier by jumping from a balloon 23-miles above Roswell. He can only jump if winds on the ground are under two miles an hour.
3) As hundreds of you are getting ready to head out the door for Balloon Fiesta police want to make you aware that driving could be dicey. There will likely be congestion all week around Balloon Fiesta Park. Police are asking goers to be patient and extra careful.
A police officer was sent to the hospital this weekend after being hit by a vehicle and he continues to recover this morning. Then on Saturday, a motorcycle officer was on patrol outside balloon fiesta park and was struck by an SUV. He is still reported to be in stable condition after being airlifted from the scene by a medivac helicopter. There have been incidents in past years where police service aids and other pedestrians have been injured in traffic crashes.
4) Happening at Balloon Fiesta at 5:45am will be the Dawn Patrol. A really beautiful event to go and see as the sun rises. Then this evening at 7:00pm will be a flying competition.
5) You can expect this Columbus Day to be sunny with warm conditions and a high near 75. There will be a light and variable wind becoming southwest at 10 to 15 miles-per-hour. Then this evening, expect mostly clear skies with a low around 50 and slight western wind blowing 5 to 15 miles-per-hour.