Five Things You Need To Know Before You Go | July 30, 2012July 30th, 2012 at 6:15 am by Rebecca Valdez under 5 Things, Morning Show, News
5. The man accused in the mass shooting in a movie theater in Colorado a week and a half ago is set to be officially charged later today. Investigators say James Holmes shot and killed 12 people and hurt 58 more at a midnight showing of the new batman movie two fridays ago. The city’s police chief is now saying the theater did not have off duty officers working security the night of the shooting like it usually does on weekends.
4. If you’ve bought any salads from Trader Joes recently you better check them. Specifically Barbecue Chicken Salads with use-by dates through July 30th. Investigators say the onions could be contaminated with listeria. No one’s gotten sick from them so far.
3. It’s going to be another hot day today. It will be sunny and hot, with a high near 98. Light and variable wind becoming south 5 to 10 mph will happen in the afternoon. Tonight will be partly cloudy, with a low around 66. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming north after midnight.
2. If you’re doing some back to school shopping, hold off until this weekend. That’s when the state’s tax-free holiday is. You’ll save some money by not paying sales tax on a lot of things from clothes to computers. The governor’s set to talk about this at Coronado Center later today. Later this week we’ll let you know what is and isn’t tax free.
1. What’s going to happen with a lot of the food vendors at Balloon Fiesta? We could find out today. They’re trying to get an extension before they sign a new contract with the fiesta. That contract will cost them 30 percent of all the money they make and they say it just isn’t worth it. Balloon fiesta says that money will make food safer and make the fiesta better for everyone.