Friday’s Five Things to Know Before 5May 25th, 2012 at 3:55 pm by Bill Diven under 5 Things
Parks celebrate, visit a fort, fly through college and more in Friday’s Five Things to Know Before 5.
5. Ten state parks are hosting special activities during the Memorial Day weekend with the Vietnam Veterans Memorial State Park in Angel Fire listing a series of programs on Sunday and Monday that include speakers, authors and a candlelight vigil. Albuquerque pays its respects to those who fell in defense of freedom in ceremonies Monday at 10 a.m. at the New Mexico Veterans’ Memorial, 1000 Louisiana Blvd. SE.
4. The Memorial Day weekend gets off to a rocky start with nasty winds, a blanket of smoke and high fire dangers. Things start looking better by midday on Sunday, though, so keep up with the KRQE.com forecasts for your part of the state.
3. The Santa Fe Opera has announced its 2012 season with five productions, two not seen in Santa Fe since the 1990s and three not previously staged here. Details are on the Santa Fe Opera website>>
2. A tour of territorial-era Fort Bayard Saturday focuses on the history of the fort in Grant County and in particular the 24th Infantry Band. The tour is free (donations welcome) and begins at 9:30 a.m. at the commanding officer’s quarters. More information is available from the Fort Bayard Preservation Society or by calling (575) 956-3294.
1. A New Mexico college has developed a pilot program that helps them overcome the obstacles to navigating school life by teaching them–literally–to fly. Pilot-reporter Bob Martin has the birds-eye view on KRQE News 13 at 10 p.m.
What’s happening tonight: KRQE 13 and 2 KASA Fox TV programming schedules
What’s coming up: KRQE.com Community Events Calendar