A storm system sliding across northern New Mexico will spread scattered snow showers tonight over the highest elevations of the northern mountains. Accumulations will largely be light but at resort level above 9000 feet we could see a few inches. Once the storm clears the big story will be cool air settling over the state for Thursday morning and Friday morning as well.
Lows will get down into the 40s here in the Albuquerque metro area. Farther to the north up over the northern mountains lows will be in the 20s and 30s the next couple of mornings.
Beyond Friday temperatures will continue to rise under largely clear skies as high-pressure takes hold over the Southwest. This will lead to very good weather for Balloon Fiesta Saturday and Sunday.
Another cool and crisp start to the day in the Land Of Enchantment. Through the afternoon it’s going to be a sunny and mild day. Temperatures again will climb into the 60s and 70s for the northern portion of the state, some 80s the further south you head. A storm system to the north of us will crank up our winds a bit through the afternoon today, and expect them to stay breezy tomorrow and Friday as well. We’ll even see a small chance for some light snow in the N. Mtns tonight into early tomorrow morning.
Today, mostly sunny and warm, high near 77°. Tonight, clear and cold, low near 48°.
Time for the five things you need to know before you go this morning.
5. Just a heads up this morning, if you’re planning on getting a free flu shot from UNM, you’re going to have to wait. The hospital says the vaccines are getting delayed until the middle or end of this month.
4. The big national story this morning is the latest on the case of Ebola diagnosed in the U.S. It’s with a man in Texas who’s now quarantined in a hospital. The CDC says there’s no public health threat because of this and the disease is only spread through direct bodily fluid contact, not through the air or water.
3. Is Tommy Rodella still the Sheriff of Rio Arriba County, even though he’s now a convicted felon and headed to federal prison? That’s what county commissioners are talking about at 10 a.m. this morning. They want the sheriff-elect, James Lujan, to take over now. We’ll let you know what happens.
2. Former APD Sergeant Adam Casaus will not be headed to prison for a deadly crash last year. Yesterday a jury found him guilty of careless driving instead of the more serious vehicular homicide charges. Casaus is out of jail right now. He’s set to be sentenced in December and could spend up to 90 days in jail.
What a difference a day makes! Temperatures this morning are some 10 to 20 degrees colder than yesterday morning. Early morning lows in the 30s and 40s in many locations. Through the afternoon it’s going to be a beautiful day. Cooler air will continue to slide over the state. Highs in S. Colorado and N. New Mexico will hit the 60s and 70s. For the South and SE portions of the state, the cooler air will take longer to arrive so highs today will hit the 80s. Tomorrow and Thursday another storm system will slide just to our north increasing our winds and bringing MORE cool air. If the system dips further south than expected, we could see some snow in the peaks of the N. Mtns.
Today, mostly sunny and nice, winds NW 5-10mph, highs near 76°. Tonight, clear and cool, lows near 52°.
Here are the five things you need to know for Tuesday, Sept. 30.
5. In just a few hours, the head of the Secret Service will be in the hot seat before Congress talking about the guy who had a knife and broke into the White House last week. This morning we know the security breach is worse than first thought and the guy overpowered one guard and made it all the way to the green room before getting caught.
4. Another major store has been hacked this time its Albertsons. The grocery store says hackers got shoppers’ personal information including their credit and debit card numbers sometime near the end of August and the beginning of September. It hasn’t said if the data breach includes New Mexico.
3. We’re still waiting for answers from Albuquerque’s Police Department about new audio released from the deadly shooting of James Boyd in the foothills back in March. The audio is from a State Police Officer and shows Detective Keith Sandy saying he was going to shoot Boyd hours before he did.
2. Anytime today we could learn what the verdict will be for former Albuquerque Police Sgt. Adam Casaus. The jury got his vehicular homicide and reckless driving causing great bodily harm case yesterday. If they don’t convict him on those charges the judge says they could go with careless driving which is a misdemeanor. This is all for the crash last year when Casaus was off-duty in his police SUV and killed Ashley Browder and badly hurt her sister.
1. No umbrellas needed today. It will be sunny with a high near 80. Tonight we can expect mostly clear skies with a low around 49.